Are Sticky Mouse Traps Poisonous to Dogs

Are Sticky Mouse Traps Poisonous to Dogs?

Sticky mouse traps are commonly used to deal with mice infestations. However, while this method may be effective in capturing mice, it can be risky to pets such as dogs. Puppies, in particular, are naturally curious creatures that enjoy exploring their surroundings by sniffing and investigating objects with their nose and mouth. Consequently, it is not uncommon for them to come into contact with the sticky trap. Thus, the question: are sticky mouse traps poisonous to dogs?

Glue traps generally do not result in dog poisoning unless the pet has ingested the glue, but they can still cause skin irritations and fur loss.

Are sticky mouse traps poisonous to dogs?


Are Sticky Mouse Traps Poisonous to Dogs

Many sticky traps no longer contain potent pesticides that are risky to dogs and other pets. However, this does not mean they are entirely safe. If your dog has consumed the adhesive from the trap, it could still be poisoned. Sticky mouse traps poisonous to dogs would contain poisonous active agents. So, examine the active ingredients in the glue and consider factors such as your dog’s age, weight, and medical history to assess the potential danger.

If your dog has not consumed any glue but only stepped on it, your only task will be to free it from the adhesive. Glue traps are specifically designed by pest control industries to capture fast and wriggly mice, which is why they use a strong adhesive.

Risks of glue traps to small dogs

Sticky mouse traps can potentially harm your pets, so let’s examine the risks involved when your pet comes into contact with the product:

1. Glued fur

If a larger dog is caught in a sticky trap, the glue effect may be relatively less severe and easier to remove. However, for small dogs, escaping from the glue board can be difficult. Even releasing the dog from the sticky trap without proper care can cause fur loss and skin irritations.

2. Injury

Small dogs have a delicate build, despite being active and lively, and are susceptible to injuries when caught in sticky traps. They typically struggle and strain their tiny limbs in an attempt to free themselves.

3. Nausea

Modern mouse glue boards are designed to be non-toxic, odorless, and safe for pets. Nevertheless, there are still some sticky mouse traps poisonous to dogs. Moreover,  “dogs have an advanced olfactory system that is between 10,000 to 100,000 times more sensitive than humans,” J.C. Walker, S.B. Hall, D.B. Walker, M.S. Kendal-Reed, A.F. Hood, X.-F. Niu via ScienceDirect. Even a faint scent of a potent chemical can induce nausea in them. Signs of nausea to look out for in your dog include vomiting, lethargy, and other related symptoms.

4. Bite

Glue traps do not instantly kill mice. Instead, the trapped house mouse remains stuck, experiencing stress, panic, and hunger. If your small dog comes in contact with a glue trap sticking a captured mouse, the agitated rodent may bite your dog. According to Healthline, “Most of the risks of mouse bites come from potential bacterial or viral infections. Mouse bites can also cause allergic reactions in some people.”

5. Stress

Escaping from a glue board can be a frustrating and highly stressful experience for small dogs. This situation can be particularly overwhelming for puppies who are still in the process of learning and exploring their environment.

How do you get sticky mouse trap glue off a dog?

Pets, particularly dogs and puppies, are at a higher risk of getting stuck to glue traps. Before buying a sticky trap, carefully read the label to identify any potentially harmful ingredients. Here are the necessary steps to free your dog from a sticky trap:

1. Remove the glue with vegetable oil

The adhesive residue from sticky traps can be stubborn, but you can remove it using vegetable oil as a solvent. Apply warm oil to your pet, making sure it is not excessively hot. You can warm the oil by placing the container under boiling water. Alternatively, use other slippery substances such as butter or lard.

2. Don’t use a strong solvent

Some solvents can effectively remove glue residue, but they are not safe for your pets. Such solvents include paint thinners, mineral spirits, petroleum-based products, and alcohol-based products. Examples are petroleum jelly, lubricating grease, motor oil, and nail polish remover.

3. Bath your dog with lukewarm water

Give your pet dog a bath using lukewarm water to reduce stress on its body while regulating temperature. Wash the fur with gentle soap and make sure to thoroughly cover the entire body. Rinse your pet well and dry them.

4. Let the canine rest

After the bath, your dog will feel panicked and anxious due to the recent experience. That’s normal. Allow it to rest in a secure and comfortable location.

5. Visit the vet clinic

If you observe any symptoms or signs of distress in your dog, have your dog examined by a veterinarian at a clinic to receive appropriate care.

How to use sticky traps around dogs

It is often not advisable to use a sticky mouse trap if you keep pets such as a dog. Nevertheless, you can follow these strategies for safely using these products:

1. Install dog barriers

Restrict your dog’s access to potentially hazardous areas in your home, such as the kitchen, by installing dog fences. A barrier such as a fence allows you to control your dog’s mobility and prevent them from entering areas with the mouse trap.

2. Teach your canine to avoid traps

Use body blockings as a training technique to train your dog to avoid trapped hotspots such as the kitchen. You can physically block your dog’s path and guide them away from the restricted area. Consider praising and rewarding your pet whenever it voluntarily backs away from the off-limits area to establish a positive association with staying away from the kitchen.

3. Move the sticky trap to hidden zones

You want to place sticky traps in areas where your dog will not be able to access. Consider sliding it under furniture or positioning it in narrow corners where your dog cannot reach or disturb the trap.

4. Place bait stations instead of sticky traps

Buy mouse bait stations when investing in pest control products. Bait stations provide a secure enclosure for the bait, making them less accessible to your dog. Use baits that are enticing to mice, such as peanut butter, hazelnut spread, or other nutty and sticky foods.

5. Consider other trap options

Instead of traditional mouse traps, consider these options:

a. Humane mouse trap

Instead of using glue or snap traps, buy humane mouse traps that can capture mice without causing harm and keep your pet safe. Two examples of these types of traps are the bucket mouse trap and the reusable mice trap.

b. Electrical traps

Electrical traps typically comprise a tunnel where mice can enter and are safe for pets. Once inside, a sensor triggers a high-voltage electric current that quickly eliminates the rodent. The opening of the tunnel is designed to be too small for your dog to enter. In the rare event that your dog does manage to enter the tunnel, the electric shock would be uncomfortable but not fatal.

Get in touch with your local pest control professional

If you are dealing with a severe mice infestation in your home, contact your local pest control for a safe and long-lasting solution. Modern pest control professionals employ various treatments and strategies to effectively exterminate mice. You can be confident that your dog will be safe during the process since the company also uses organic, non-toxic products.


  • “Human odor detectability: New methodology used to determine threshold and variation.” ScienceDirect
  • “What to do if you’re bitten by a mouse.” Healthline


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *