There are numerous methods for eliminating rats, including rat traps, commercially available rat poisons, or even homemade remedies which are less expensive and don’t require a trip to the store. One of such methods is to kill rats with antifreeze. This DIY solution can be highly effective in removing the pesky rats in your home. So, in this article, we will discuss how you can safely use your car’s antifreeze to get rid of these unwelcome visitors.
What is antifreeze?
Antifreeze is a mixture of various chemicals that comes in various colors, such as yellow, orange, green, and others. The main ingredients of antifreeze are ethylene glycol or propylene glycol.
The purpose of antifreeze is to lower the freezing point of liquids and prevent them from solidifying. It is widely used in car engines to prevent freezing and ensure proper functioning.
How does antifreeze kill a rat?
As previously stated, antifreeze contains ethylene glycol, a toxic substance that can kill a rat. While it is commonly used in car engines, it can also be used as a homemade antifreeze rat poison. When ingested by rats, the ethylene glycol in antifreeze reacts with the acids in their stomachs, causing significant harm and ultimately leading to their death.
Also, accidentally or intentionally, ethylene glycol is often ingested despite its sweet taste. However, when broken down in the body, it transforms into harmful compounds. According to the CDC, the central nervous system (CNS) is the first to be affected by both ethylene glycol and its poisonous byproducts, followed by the heart and eventually the kidneys. Fatal consequences can occur if a sufficient amount is consumed.
How to kill rats with antifreeze
It is inhumane to get rid of rats with antifreeze. If you still need to, do the following to kill rats with antifreeze:
1. Make 50 50 antifreeze
To use antifreeze as a rat poison to kill a rat, simply mix any brand of antifreeze with water or use it on its own.
2. Apply it to a rat lure
You can also soak rat-attracting foods in antifreeze to kill the rats. You could use antifreeze-soaked bread.
3. Place it in a bowl
Place it in a bowl or mouse trap. That’s it, your homemade rat poison antifreeze is ready.
The sweet scent of the antifreeze will attract the rat to it, and when ingested, the toxic reaction caused by the ethylene glycol in the antifreeze will result in the death of the rat within one to three days.
How long does it take for antifreeze to kill rats?
Antifreeze also called “ethylene glycol” is very dangerous for rats and other animals. How long it takes for antifreeze to kill a rat depends on some things, such as how much was eaten and how big the rat is. Most of the time, antifreeze rat poison kills a rat 24 to 7 hours after it is eaten.
During this time, the rat might feel sleepy, lose its hunger, throw up, or have seizures The antifreeze stops the rat’s kidneys from working as they should, which leads to kidney failure and death. In some cases, death can happen as soon as a few hours after intake, while in other cases, it can take several days.
Are mice and rats attracted to antifreeze?
Antifreeze has a sweet scent and flavor that can lure mice. Given their preference for sugary substances, mice may consume this liquid. Due to its toxicity, antifreeze is an effective means of eradicating rodents. However, exercise caution when using antifreeze, as other creatures may also be drawn to the product.
Does 50 50 antifreeze kill rats?
50 50 antifreeze can kill rats, even when soaked in bread. 50/50 antifreeze is a type of engine coolant that is a mixture of equal parts of water and antifreeze. This mixture is commonly used in cars to regulate engine temperature and prevent overheating or freezing in extreme temperatures.
Read also: simple DIY baking powder rat poison
Antifreeze can be an extremely effective homemade rat poison, but due to its high toxicity, take necessary precautions when using it. Remember that it is inhumane to kill rats with antifreeze. It should be kept out of reach of children and pets as ingesting even a small amount can quickly lead to severe harm and may be difficult to treat.